Lung cancer affects 38,000 people a year in the UK, making it the second most common cancer here.
There are two main types of primary lung cancer:
- Small cell lung cancer
- Non-small cell lung cancer
Treatment will be determined by which type you have; you can discuss this with your consultant/doctor.
Things to look out for
Symptoms include but are not limited to:
- A prolonged chest infection
- A continuous cough or changes to a cough you have had for a long time
- Changes to your voice, such as hoarseness
- Coughing up blood
- Weight loss and/or appetite loss
- Wheezing and shortness of breath
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Trouble swallowing
- Pain (sharp) if coughing or breathing in deeply